Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Steelers, movies, and just plain ol' venting

I know....

I'm a sell out. I've been a Bills fan all my life, and the moment I change cities, my allegiance is gone. But for the first time in my life I'm watching good football! And it has made me become a screaming, yelling, ESPN watching, lover of the sport. I can't get enough of it, and I have no shame!

And I just have to say that the last 4 minutes of the Steelers game this past Sunday (and to those of you who watched it, you know what I'm talking about) was the most intense four minutes of football I've ever watched, and I hope that the Steelers don't scare me like that again this week! Ya'll better be rooting for my team this weekend! And Mom, don't let dad persuade you into becoming a Denver fan! Hold fast!

~~~~~

So for the first time last night, I went to the movies by myself. It was an interesting experience. I've been wanting to see Memoirs of a Geisha for weeks, and Mike keeps making excuses for not wanting to go. I almost had him convinced to go with me on date night, but somehow he talked me into seeing Munich instead. So tonight I took matters into my own hands and just went on my own. I was actually really nervous when I walked in by myself. I asked for one ticket for Memoirs of a Geisha, and the woman looked behind me to see if anyone else was there. I politely said that I was there alone because my husband couldn't come. My wedding ring is being sized, therefore I was ringless, so I'm pretty sure the woman didn't believe me. I got myself a box of junior mints and a small diet coke, and went over to the man who tore the ticket- I had put it in my pocket, so I had to shuffle everything to one hand to get it. When I did that, I squeezed the drink a little too hard, and coke came pouring out the top. So embarrassing...

So I finally got to the theater, and took my seat in front of two 50-something women, so just in case someone tried to kidnap me, there would be witnesses (honestly, that's really what I thought). But my plan backfired because they talked (loudly) during the movie- very annoying. But once the movie started, I forgot I was by myself because I was so engrossed in it. I totally recommend reading the book before seeing the movie- it would make a lot more sense.

~~~~~

So tell me people- what is so funny about my last name? Because it just seems like everywhere I go- the doctors, the pharmacist, even ordering take-out, I get snickers, giggles, or "wait a second, how do you spell that?". It's getting annoying people! Mike doesn't have this problem, so why me? I came home from the pharmacist one evening frustrated because the young man helping me asked for my last name to look up my order, and when I told him, he grinned and said "I'll look that up, miss". But before he did, he went over to a young woman and told her my last name, and she snickered- right in front of me! I was so mad! But you know me, I took my order from him, and left without saying anything. I told Mike what happened, and he asked me to say my last name. So I did, and then he asked me to say it, but say it with a "t". So I did what he said, and he smiled, saying that they sounded exactly the same. So now my own husband is coaching me to say our last name correctly so it doesn't sound so much like a swear word- in the words of my sister- UN- believable.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I don't remember you-er christopher, saying that at the wedding, but you-er he totally hit the nail on the head. And it's driving me crazy!

And as I sit her on my computer watching my husband in his fluffy robe marching and dancing around the house- it's hard to picture his kung fu skills..... go figure. He must mask his powers well.

becca said...

hahaha...another coke story. LOVE IT. i cried when i read john's....i couldn't catch my breath i was laughing so hard....what a classic. that is one for the grandkids...

wish i could have been there with you to see the movie...shouldn't have moved away....sigh

Next time they ask how to spell your name, tell them:
U R A P-iece of crap. and walk away. don't let them get to ya rach. I love you....b

Amy said...

i would have gone and seen that movie with you, although you did miss one of the better CSIs and then proceeded to have Becca talk during part of the second one while she caught you up to speed.

I'm sorry you're getting so much crap about your last name, I am sure I am signing up for some Helen jokes too but its worth it I guess...
Mikes a kung fo something

Larry said...

not steelers - STILLERS
not ya'll - YINS

sheesh.